It's 2012, and from the looks of things on Facebook and the blogosphere, this is going to be a year of change for so many people. I've seen countless posts and status updates sharing lists of New Year's Resolutions. Like many people, I have things in my life that I want to work on, but instead of coming up with resolutions, I like the develop goals with a timeline and action plan to help me to achieve them. Here is my list of health and beauty goals for 2012, along with ideas for behaviors that I can do to reach my goals:
Limit restaurant meals to 4x/month or less
- Plan a week’s worth of meals ahead
- Have a cooking day (probably Sunday) where I prep foods for the week and cook enough meat for a couple of days worth of meals
· Develop healthier eating habits
- Drink water 90% of the time instead of sodas and sugary juices
- Swap my fave junk food (potato chips, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, brownies) for lower-calorie indulgences that I enjoy (homemade smoothies, yogurt, parfait, fruit)
- Keep food diary via My Fitness Pal app
· Work out 3x/wk
- Use breaks at work to power walk
- Do something active w/ fiancé a few weekends out of the month
- Develop hobby that is not sedentary (or involve shopping)
- Workout first thing when I get home in the afternoon so I don’t have a chance to sit down and get comfortable
- Track workouts using My Fitness Pal app on iPhone
- Follow a different work out program each month to help w/ variety (Jillian Michael’s 30 day shred, Wii my fitness pal workout, couch to 5k, biggest loser bootcamp dvd plan).
· Develop my health/wellness “glam squad” (family dr, dentist, poss dermatologist & masseuse)
· Retain hair growth (4+ inches)
- Moisturize, seal & set my hair every night (if wearing hair loose)
- Protective style at least 2 week of every month (mini twists, bun, or wig/clip-ins)
- Deep condition weekly
- Try henna to increase strength
- Straighten no more than 4 times in 2012
- Do scalp massage
- Natural methods for headaches, cramps, etc.
- Try to get adequate sleep
- Avoid activities that I know will cause headaches (ex. waiting too long to eat, using the computer for too long, reading in the dark)
- Replace negative thoughts with positive one
- Stop Stressing the small things
- Leave work stress/thoughts at work.
- Consider motivations behind what others say/do instead of taking things personal
- Read 10+ books a year
- Give away 50 items that I no longer use, want, or need.
- Read something life changing every day (quote, tips to improve life in some way, article, book chapter, etc)
- Find my “passion”/”purpose”
- Travel to a new city or state
- Treat others as I want to be treated
- Limit gossip websites, reality shows, anything that promotes negativity.